Saturday 1 October 2011

Time waits for no man, and so all that starts must end

And so it is for us, well not quite. Still a few days to go but I cannot believe that we have nearly done it. We have driven from London to Malaysia and just have a short hop to Singapore, Raffles hotel Long Bar and some very well deserved Singapore Slings. At a touch under 26,000kms this really is one of the Overlanding greats of a trip, we are part of the Overlanding legend and can hold our heads up high!

I think I will have one more blog entry after this one to detail the end of the trip and the truck shipping so expect that one to be a little more “airy” as I will pontificate over the trip, drop in my thoughts and search through for some of my fave shots of the trip but for now so what news our end?

Well the beach was top dollar. Zoe and Susan had found a great beach resort that most of us went to and it was fab. I swam, ran and was seen doing that strange thing called exercise...not sure who was more shocked, me or my body? Half moon parties were had, tattoos scratched in and generally the feel was that the beach really is not a bad way to spend a week......which really did come to an end earlier that we would have liked and before you could say Khao Sok National Park is wet, wet, wet we were there, and guess what, it was wet!
A floral Steve sporting a new tat
A floral Steve sporting a new tat
Khao Sok Calypso
Calypso at Khao Sok
camo Calypso
Camo Calypso - can you see her?
classic forest, timeless
Classic forest, timeless
Steve and Clare and a big tree
Steve and Clare and a big tree
Jungle internet
Jungle internet
Tubing Khao Sok style
Tubing Khao Sok style

We had two damp jungle tree house days and then yet another early rise as we were not only leaving the jungle but Thailand. As we approached the border there was a quick Maccers and duty free stop as we smoothly slipped into Malaysia and into George Town, a real blast from the British colonial past. As we eat a fusion of Indian and Chinese surrounded by the sort of ethnic mix that cheers the soul it was the start of the end of the trip for a lot of us, in the sense that we suddenly realised that my god we were nearly there!
George Town, old meets new
Georgetown, old meets new
Classic eatery with music and dancing, George Town
Classic eatery with dancing and music, Georgetown

But there were still a few delights to hold us such as the Perhentian islands 20kms by speed boat off the east coast of Malaysia. A divers paradise and generally great place although it must be said that the place we stayed had seen better days and so there was a bit of a decamp as the guys searched out more commodious accom. There has been diving, snorkelling and kayaking happening, some photos here and more to follow. After the Khao Sok soaking we have decided that maybe another park will push us over the edge. We need laundry, a city, cafes, restaurants....a chance to regroup and rest up and so from here we are going straight to KL from where Singapore is within our grasp.
water taxis Perhantian islands
Water taxis to the Perhentian Islands
Jim off for a dive, Malaysia
Jim off for a dive
BCD check, all ok
BCD check, all ok
Clare, diver extraordinnaire
Clare, diver extraordinaire

I will leave you all there for now, I imagine that a fair number of you reading this blog will also be reading the guys blogs too, so I am sure you will join me in congratulating Emily and Mandy whose blogs have been voted the trip tops. I must say that for me, a blog virgin, I have enjoyed writing the blog and reading those of all the guys as they give a good round feel to the trip.

Ok, laters, speak soon. Hey Mum Dad, hi, glad that you have enjoyed the blog and finally can see what I do, rather than getting some grumpy “yeah it was ok” from me when asked over breakfast. I am greatly looking forward to coming home soon, it is time for some family time, love you, Charlie xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment